Mike Ness cashing in.
What a ruckus this post had become. Everyone has such strong opinions. This would be a great thread for the band to ACTUALLY read!
Mike Ness cashing in.
<font size="2" face="verdana, arial">Hey Jen! You'r so bitchy! Canada is not the rest of the world.Its the Bay Area [img]tongue.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="verdana, arial">Well, in baseball we have the World Series, that's only the US and Canada. [img]wink.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="verdana, arial">Really? Doesn't know it.I have a dream! Some day the Padres will be world champion and dominate the the baseball world including Japan [img]smile.gif[/img]Originally posted by jen415:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="verdana, arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="verdana, arial">Originally posted by nubusfromdc:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="verdana, arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="verdana, arial">Originally posted by jen415:
I hope for the German board members that "worldwide" isn't just a fancy way to say the band was in Canada last week.
<font color="#FFFF00"><font size="1">[ May 01, 2007 02:47 PM: Message edited by: jen415 ]</font></font>
I think Love_Pain hit the nail on the head. Social Distortion has never been like many other bands. I would expect something like this if they were still with a major label. I would be willing to bet big bucks that if this greatest hits album did NOT have Far Behind on it, almost no one would buy it. Why would they? Just buy Live at the Roxy. But, you throw ONE fricking new song on there, and now you force the die hards to support this piece of crap. Again, this is a screw job on the longtime fans. Why not save this song for the new album and actually put 11 songs on it rather than the 10 songs I'm sure the new album is gonna have. Even if this greatest hits album doesn't sell many copies, it's pure profit anyways. How much studio time did it really take to record one song? Otherwise you just pull the other songs and drop them on a cd, press thousands of copies and sit back and collect. Sorry... I'm not falling victim to this marketing scam. I'll wait for some suckers to buy this cd and I'll just get my hands on a copy of the new song that way. Hey, I'm all for supporting the arts and good music, but this... damn, I never thought Social Distortion would do something like this. I wonder what the Mike Ness of 1979 would have to say about a band doing something like this.
I pretty much understand that a lot of us are kinda disappointed now by that tracklist, and I admit I?m a little disappointed too, but I?m sure there?s some reason for this, I mean for that they took only 10 songs of the past for that Album. But though, I?ll buy it, and I know many others will too, cause Mike Ness and the Band deserved that we?d buy it, they deserved our support, cause they gave us that much, or am I wrong? And one reason why we love them is because they do what they want to do, not what others want them to do! To me it?s more important to look forward to a new Album, which surely will have a lot of wonderful new songs, and to look forward to see them again in Germany, and if the new Album and the Tour will come true, I can live with a GH-Album which is not that good as we all expected! ( but when I?ll see them on stage, and they won?t do Ball and Chain and Angel?s wings, like they didn?t do it on the show I saw 2005, then I?m gonna get really angry [img]wink.gif[/img] )
My grandma could compile a better Social Distortion compilation than this, and she's deaf.
I will say is this, I can name at least two or three bands/singers that I ended up being big fans of, and I started out by buying their greatest hits records......
Also, I've bought a couple of greatest hits CD's when I've already owned pretty much the artists total catalouge on vinyl. (OK, I am dating myself here...) [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Ok, since everyone voiced their opinion about the GH record I'll throw in my 2 cents.
First off...I'm not impressed.
There has been talk of a Greatest Hits record for some time and I'm sure it's for the "new fans" who don't have the entire back-catalog.
But the least Social D could have done was make the entire package a little more interesting for the die-hard fans.
They are a fantastic live-band...I mean how hard would it be to re-record the songs with the current (and brilliant) line-up? Maybe make it a double album with a CD full of obscure songs like "Alone and Forsaken" that was once a B-side or the acoustic version of "Angels Wings" that Mike was so fond of?!?! Maybe throw in "Death or Glory" and the Cheap Trick cover they were working on for good measure?!
And as much as I would like to see them play live again, I would appreciate it even more if they would finish this neverending tour and have someone sit Mikes ass down with an acoustic guitar, a pen and some paper and have him write some new material.
Some artists have a habbit of putting out one album a year and all the songs on those records are brilliant (Steve Earle comes to mind). But Mike was never like that...there were always extremely long periods of time between releases.
I can only guess that Mike and the guys don't have enough "quality material" at this point to bring out a "proper" album.
I'd say we won't be hearing an album full of new songs until 2009.
I AGREE WITH YOU JACK... THERE IS PROBABLY A GOOD REASON WHY THE BAND DID WHAT THEY DID. THE GREATSET HITS RECORDS ARE USUALLY FOR THE MAINSTREAMERS, AND NOT THE HARDCORE FANS.I HAVE LOVED THIS BAND FOR ALMOST TWENTY YEARS NOW AND THEY DESERVE ALL THE SUCCESS AND LOYALTY THEY HAVE RECEIVED... I WILL ALWAYS SUPPORT THEM...
Bookmarks